Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Depth Charge (Maya)

So since I finally got the rest of my assets to render (not the way I'd like but still...), I figured that I have enough time to try to remake the depth charge from scratch. I was actually surprised when I heard that I could try to go back to my original setup. The original idea, which I try to do for all of my effects, was to construct based on real world physics.

 

After weeks and weeks of research, trial, and error, I've come to realize that no matter what you do in Maya (2011), you cannot compress a fluid to a volume smaller than its original size. So to make up for this and create the illusion, I actually had to scale the entire container in such a way that it was counter animating the motion of the dynamics. Work with me on that sentence because I couldn't find a better way to word that. So I animated the container downward, scaling outward, and many other things (including texture specific attributes, simulation settings, and motion based options). The hardest part about the whole thing though, was trying to keep it round. You can't see it but there is a sphere that contains the entire effect that only collides for 1 frame. The fact that the entire effect was contained actually contributes to the pressure calculation, and scaling it away after allowed the keys on density and temperature to allow the round shape to break and roll with the same motion.